At 3:03 PM -0500 1/6/06, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On 1/6/06 12:58 PM, "Frank P. Eigler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

 On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, TjL wrote:
 [snip]
 The fatal flaw to your plan is that it requires me doing all that.
 Manually.

 Manual backs are almost always out of date.  (yes, to the 3 of you who do
 manual backups regularly, your discipline is impressive, but most of us
 fail to meet your level of existance).  SuperDuper automatically updates
 *just the changed files* every night at 3:30a.m.  All I have to do is make
 sure the FW drive is attached.

 That was worth the $30 to me.

 TjL

 But that would also seem to entail leaving your backup drive running all
 night, unattended. Seems a little risky, unless you've got an A/B backup
 routine going.

A backup drive isn't necessarily an external, it could be an internal drive.
But even if it is external, what's risky about leaving it on over night? My
lab's server is backed up nightly to an external drive. The external has
been on 24/7 for three years now. This external drive has saved my bacon
twice.

It's far better that a backup drive is external. A lot of failures that you try to avoid by making backups will affect an internal backup as well as the main HD. This includes Power spikes, trees falling on computer, theft, software running amok, malicious access and others. Having an external drive that is only connected during the backup and then stored elsewhere provides much more protection.

And, yeah, an A/B (or more) backup provides more protection. If any of the above mentioned acts happens during a backup then you are SOL unless you have multiple backups.
--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA