On 22 Jan 2006, at 9:03 PM, Lawrence Sica wrote:

You the consumer, making one copy, are not performing a felony. And it's a fine distinction but the act of copying is not illegal in this case. The people selling the program are selling an illegal program possibly though. One major distinction for fair use in copyright is how it harms the commercial interests of the copyright holder. That is why making a copy for personal use is not a felony, making a large number and distributing them in any fashion is.

This is my understanding also. I have a couple of copyrights I have to enforce and so I pay attention to this matter.

It is not always the understanding of the goons that enforce the copyright laws for some corporations, however. Some of them think that anyone making a copy of anything is illegal. Mostly it's just them trying to justify their existence.

I had a DVD that would not always play right. With a lot of effort, I was able to make a good copy of it. I kept both the original and copy. I mentioned this to someone on an open forum and next thing I knew I had the private pigs from the corporation that produced the disk giving me a bad time. The frustrating part is that the content was not very good. I wish they would have put all that effort into making a better product instead of persecuting people.

My conclusion is that you can make all the copies you want for your own personal use. Just don't give any away or tell anyone you did so.

                                                        Peter