Stardate 060203.11:05 -0500. A subspace message from Andrew in Ann Arbor reads:

I'm using Mail in Panther ... The cursor does end up above the quote ...

It does WHAT?!? Have the Mail devteam been spending too much time stuck inside Outcroak or something? Methinks we should all write to the Mail Devteam c/- One Infinite Loop and say "RFC 1855, guys!!"

See, I wouldn't've known this, as I don't use Mail -- I've been a dedicated Eudora fan *waves to Steve* since version 0.8. I've tried other mail programs over the years, I keep coming back to the Big E. When I moved to OSX five months ago, I tried Apple's Mail ... threw it my Eudora mail-folder and I got a kernel panic.

I run my own RFC 1855 pre-filter here (based on 'listar') - if incoming mail breaks RFC 1855, the sender gets a nice little bounce message asking them to try again. I used to use a similiar pre-filter for my nntp feed (but without the bounce) when I still bothered with newsgroups, My .sig states my filter rules thusly:

WARNING: Mail to this address wil be auto-bounced without warning if:
(a) more than 10% original content appears before first quoted matter,
(b) quoted material exceeds 75% of total message content, and/or
(c) HTML is used to format text and/or embed non-ASCII items.

Geoffrey
--
 "I'm afraid music in the modern idiom is too repetitive for my tastes