James,

<<I know you said that the seller "indicated" that the software was legal.
Was this an *explicit* claim, or did you simply "assume" that it was so?
The reason I ask is that if the seller _explicitly_ claimed the software was
legit, you may be able to drop her an email.  An email along the lines of
"hey, if I can't send the machine back and get a refund, I will contact your
local police department's Computer Crime Division (assuming they have one)
and let them know you're selling pirated software,  Please do not make me do
this."

Admittedly, the above ploy is more bluff than anything.  However, the seller
may be the type that is anxious to avoid trouble.  [shrugs]>>

I avoid ads that state the computer comes with X software installed. The ad
said it came with "fully licensed versions" of the software, which means to me
it's not illegal. If I had thought that it was, I would not have bid. During
our exchange of e-mails, she said she would fully transfer ownership of all
software. Of course now, I realize it should have said it comes with the
original
media and manuals. I did check out the transfer of ownership terms from each
software company. I also figured out she strung me along by e-mail till eBay
and PayPal resolution times would pass. I'm pretty sure I'm past the CC
companies time limit too, but it's worth checking out. Wouldn't it be better to
contact the software companies instead?

<<If you don't have the original media for the software, then it's my
understanding that what you have is an illegal installation.  Reasons 2 and
3 are attempted rationalizations as to why that software is still on your
drive (I'm not trying to be harsh, but let's face facts, please).  You're in
possession of software you cannot show legitimate ownership of.  Whether or
not you're currently using it or "plan to" buy legitimate copies doesn't
really mean anything.>>

Legally, I may own the software and she hasn't fulfilled the eBay contract. I
do believe I could  prove it in court. However health and the possible hassle
and costs have prevented me from pursuing legal avenues till now. Facing
facts, since I'm not using the software, there is no reason to go through the
hassle of removing the software immediately if 1- I may need to show the
software
companies proof of piracy, and 2-I'm just going to buy the same software soon.
I agree it is pirated software if I have no right to it.

<<As far as reason #1 is concerned, if you need hand-holding to perform the
nuke and pave, just ask the list.  I'm sure everyone would be more than
happy to walk you through it, especially as doing so might help keep you out
of trouble. >>

I'm not worried about getting in trouble, and yes, the list is very helpful.
Trust me, when I finally start using OSX, I'll be back for questions like how
to remove unwanted software.

<<The idea here is that if you don't have the original media, it could
theoretically be installed on god-knows-how-many machines because, well, no
one knows just where the original media is.  Also, the splash screen for the
software may say who the software is licensed to.  If that name doesn't
match your own, guess what?>>

My best guess is she bought a G5 and installed it on that and left the
software on the machine she sold me. Yeah, it says it's registered to the
software
company that makes it. As far as the name matching your own, when I do register
software, sometimes I put Dad or Atari STeve (I started with Atari's) in the
registered to part.

<<I can only hope you are not using/planning to use this software in a
business setting of some kind.  If you get audited, the trouble you'll find
yourself in will quickly negate any possible savings.  It's just not worth
it.>>

I will not use any of the software till I own it. Period! I'm not worried
about an audit.

<<Fully legal copies of software come up for sale all the time on the Swap
List at knockdown prices.  However, it would help us a great deal if we
actually knew what the software you're looking for *was.*

Without specific program titles, it's hard to advise someone as to whether
or not a particular application or version of an application will meet their
needs.  The corollary to this is that we don't know what it is you're trying
to accomplish with the software in the first place; please do tell us.
Perhaps what you have loaded on your HD won't work effectively for what you
need it to do anyway. ]shrugs]>>

Microsoft Office 2004
Adobe Creative Suite CS2
Final Cut Pro 4.5 HD

<<Go here:

http://www.lowendmac.com/lists/swap.html>>

Thanks. However, the reason I wrote is not about whether the software is
illegal or not, etc. I was looking for answers to questions like: Is there any
real difference between regular and Student/Teacher versions? I've heard that
upgrade versions install just like non-upgrade versions and don't actually
require a previous version or serial numbers. True?

STeve