On Feb 18, 2006, at 8:09 PM, J.M.P.Hissel wrote:

On 19-02-2006 00:48, Brian, [EMAIL PROTECTED], wrote:

can we just accept it's simply a matter of preference?

OC we can/will accept this point of view (and BTW everybody is free to
delete top-postings, requiring scrolling up and down to can be followed!).
So excuse me: But in my point of view: It's simply a matter of
laziness/ignorance.
Therefore I still persist:
Don't use top-posting! Bottom-posting is more surveyable and more logical!
(for an answer will follow after a question/point of view, isn't it?)

First of all, don't forget to change the subject when the thread changes.

As to top/bottom posting, I go both ways, but I think my rule of thumb is a fair compromise. I try and base top/bottom upon how much quoted text needs to be included. A small amount, like this one, gets bottom posting. You can read the original post and answer in one screen without scrolling.

However, if the needed quoted material is more than a screen full or so (recent PCI SCSI disk question where there was a significant amount of material to quote (more than one screen full) I tend to top quote so that the person who needs the info sees it right off the bat, but if you want the background, all you have to do is scroll a little to get it.

I also try and take into account that most people are not running their monitors at much over 1024 x 768 and not the 1792 x 1344 that I run at.

Len