From: Tim Collier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

As miffed as ever!

David Elmo

I think you mentioned in one of your earlier posts that you set your
user password as just blank because you just pressed enter when it
asked for one.  Did you ever reset it to something other than just
'blank'?  When I follow the steps that you outlined above, it's asks
for my password and I enter the user password that I have set on my
account.  You really should have a REAL password set and that will
probably solve your problems.  You also mentioned in previous posts
that you had mostly been using OS 9 in the past and just recently
moved to X...remember OS X is not OS 9 and if you continue to think
of it in OS 9 terms your just going to have more and more frustrating
problems.  I switched to the Mac when 10.1 was released and have
never been burdened by prior experience of using OS 9.  I had to un-
learn Windows way of doing things....now when I use a PC (as I do now
have to do at work) I can't remember what to do.  Get a book on OS X
and read it, there are plenty of cool things that you may find.
Remember a REAL password in OS X is a GOOD idea.  Set one and free
yourself of the problems you're having.

Thank you Tim. Is null password not a real one? Will David Pogue (whose book on X is on order, tell me this? I notice he writes books on just about every platform, has he time to go into such detail!)

Anyway, I did just as you said about a "real" password. . After the first terrible crash, I reinstalled all and chose a "real" password, but - you are right about fiddling - I could not bear the thought of re-entering all my keychain info so I just replaced it with a copy from a back up (a pre X thing I am prone to...) This caused it to want the previous null password no doubt. Now I want my keychain password to be the same without a clue as to how to do this.

What I am going to do is go out and buy a firewire drive and/or another IDE so I can set one or more of these up from scratch yet again but with no tricks at all: everything entered manually re passwords as if I am new totally to everything. I am totally lost about importing anything in a kosher manner (look what happened when I did! I got all my mail and addresses and keychain but at what cost to the system? With the new drive or drives i will not do a single thing that has the slightest whiff of unusual without asking you guys first! :) When it is set up, I will then use it as the main drive. In the meantime I do have to work on this delicate sensitive giant of mine as is. At least it does not ask me for passwords when I start up in the morning.

David Elmo