On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 6:01 PM, paul beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:45 PM, Wallace Adrian D'Alessio
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> Trolls are insulting people who insist there view is right. They call
>> people names and rant without reasoning. Do I fit that description?
>
> do you really want an answer to that? A broader definition of a troll is
> that of someone who continues to pound an argument regardless of what anyone
> else says.

No one has presented an arguement that is any more provable than the
ones you are against. Perhaps no one here has been persuaded. But I am
still learning. We are all presenting relevant aspects from our own
viewpoints and I hope everyone's understanding of the factors involved
is broadened.

>> Or
>> am I just another perosn with the right to participate in a debate
>> among equals? If you were characterizing anyone here as a troll that
>> would be an Ad Hominem argument. Rather than a logical participation
>> in this discussion of the pros and cons and the underlying thought of
>> this issue.
>
> The logic of the issue is simple and has been stated many times: you want
> cheap kit with the benefits of Apple's R&D/QA, and Apple -- rightly -- says
> no.

The logic may seem simple if you severely limit premises upon which
your argument is based. To deny factors of end user perception and the
wants and needs of home and small business users is one way of doing
so.

>> > Tell me, did you use OpenDarwin? Why not?
>>
>> Not knowing it existed would be a good reason.
>
> Well, try and keep up. I was released on 2001, along with OS X and existed
> alongside it ever since. If you don't know what Apple has already made
> available, it makes your continued carping about what you're not aware very
> tedious.

If it is tedious there are remedies for that. In my use of Macs at
home and the university I have never encountered Darwin. If it was
something I needed to use I would be aware of it. To dismiss my
concerns as "carping " could be taken as provactive .

>> > No one here is saying it's enough: what some of us are saying is that
>> > we disagree with your ideas to increase market share.
>>
>> Fair enough.  Perhaps you would like to tell Apple your ideas and let
>> them decide which they like. But the market itself is the decision
>> maker in any case.
>
> I'm not the one who claims there's a need for OS X on every crummy
> motherboard on the market. Based on what I see -- and I am a shareholder --
> they seem to be doing fine without my help.

Nor am I, that has been stated repeatedly for months also. As a
shareholder would you refuse to take profits from sales of an Apple OS
to a far greater market share?

>> > Why do you think your experience trumps Simon's or mine or anyone's?
>>
>> As I have continually said for months Mine is but an opinion. I do not
>> deny anyone their opinion. the purpose of expressing opinions is to
>> learn and persuade. Is it alright with you if I do both? I suppose
>> freedom of speech in a group of equals is rare in this day . So many
>> discussions descend into one side shouting down the other. As the OP
>> here the thread discussion here began with my starting premise.
>> Others have joined in the spirit of  free expression.
>
> Yes, it is your opinion, but read the comment above and answer the question:
> why do you think your experience, as expressed by "We have already addressed
> this extensively. It is not as problematic as some would have you believe."
> should be taken as more credible than that of others?

When did I ever say my opinion "trumps" anyone else's?

>> And at their own volition. and continue to participate in exploring
>> different views of the issue. this is what
>> competent adults do. An exchange of ideas. No one is forced to read or
>> join the debate or believe anyone else's viewpoint.
>>
>> Great things come from free expression.
>
> Learning from others is one of those things.

On this we would seem to agree 100%.

Adrian