I have a similar sort of problem with a MDD i recently bought. It will
not restart if you shut down from the software (menu). It will only
restart if you unplug it for a few seconds, and then plug it back in.
If you do a hard shut down by holding the power button, (hardware
shutdown), it will start up fine. I thought it was a software/pram
issue, but the more i searched this on various boards (i'll find a
link tomorrow- sorry)  it seems to be a dying power supply issue.
Please let me know if you get it to work with a reset, i haven't been
so lucky and have been thinking about finding a power supply.

I hope your issue is a bad battery. If it wouldn't hold the time/date
for an hour if you had the computer unplugged, just replace it. they
are cheap enough and you can rule that out.

-moss