At 5:19 PM -0700 9/20/2008, Aaron wrote:
>A couple of days ago, when I was doing various cabling changes
>inside my FireWire 800 MDD, at one point it wouldn't start up at
>all. I mean no visual or aural indication of any activity when I
>pressed the power button in various ways. Then, after other changes,
>it finally did and then, shortly after in the same configuration, it
>didn't!
>
>::: When the MDD won't power up, just unplug the power cord for 10
>seconds and plug it in again!
>
>QUESTION: Is it likely that this strange behavior presages any more
>serious problems? If so, what can I do about it beforehand?

Depends on what'all you did in the system.  Sounds like the PMU
needed rebooting.  You do this by (one of):
a) Pressing the CUDA button ONCE.
b) Removing the PRAM (Backup) Battery and replacing it after about 30 seconds.
c) Removing main power from the system.

In general... DO NOT be fooling with the hardware of a system while
it has power.  Some people like to keep it plugged in, to provide a
good ground.  And that's ok, if you've cut the power off at a power
strip or something.  But otherwise....

>Also, (1) can I check the PRAM battery without removing it and (2)
>how does one remove it?

No.  Unplug the system and pull the battery.  If it has a plastic
cover on it, use a small flat blade or screwdriver to widen its wings.

>I'm guessing the PRAM battery may be bad because, when I reconnect
>after disconnection, I get the message about the computer's date
>being too old.

Yes, loss of time is the one of the primary symptoms of a dead/dying
PRAM battery.  Definately time to replace it.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth