On 10/15/08 6:37 AM, Glen McKnight of [EMAIL PROTECTED] sent

> On 15 Oct 2008, at 03:09, dorayme wrote:
>

> I stuck an unwanted but good 60GB IDE HD from my G4 Mac (that was
> running Tiger fine) in my PC (which runs Win 2000 but the idea is to
> run XP on this second 60GB drive) but it simply would not see it.
> Never even showed up in My Computer. Thank God in a way because I
> have not quite got a clue how to format it on a Winbox anyway, I was
> kind of hoping a message would come up and say "tis disk cannot be
> read, wanna format it? And I would then click a button that says Yes.
> But I dream ahead...
>
> I am thinking to rip open my FW external case (used as BU for my
> Mac), and yank out the 320GB job in there and temporarily stick in
> the 60GB and reformat it as FAT32 and then see if the PC will see it.
> What a fuss! Anyone got any better idea please?
>
> (I use a PC for only one thing and that is to see what websites look
> like on IE 6, 7 and now 8. I should get an Intel Mac, I know but
> there seems to be some horrible sticky stuff on my wallet and I just
> can't seem to yank it out of my back pocket no matter how hard I
> try... <g>)
>
> --
> dorayme
>

> Hi there
>
> Why not stick it back in the Mac and format it there, there is an
> option to format as PC.
>
> Have Fun
>
> Glen

Hi Glen,
Yes, formatting an additional drive on a PC is pretty goofy; it is not hard
once you know where to go, but even a modest search of "format hard drive"
at the Microsoft website gives a one a very quick trip to the Twilight Zone
- it's like MS does not want a novice to know this.

Boot up Windoze normally, go to "Start" then "Run", and type in the command
"compmgmt.msc" (without the parentheses) and it will mount a hidden utility
that would be MS's version of Disk Utility. There the offending 60Gig drive
will be seen and able to be re-formatted.

Hope this helps.
Best regards,
Dana