On Oct 16, 2008, at 10:45 PM, Dan wrote:

> At 10:37 PM -0400 10/16/2008, insightinmind wrote:
>>>
>>>  dig www.google.com
>>>  traceroute www.speakeasy.net
>>
>> didn't understand what you wanted above ... a Google
>> Search with "dig" and a speed test on Speakeasy?
>
> No.  I wanted the above two commands typed into Terminal, then
> provide the results here.
>
> The dig command tests your DNS servers; the domain being looked up
> can be anything.  The traceroute shows me the path between you and
> Speakeasy, with timings at each step.  With that information, we can
> usually figure out where the slow-down is occurring... then decide
> how to approach fixing it.
>
> Those are essentially the same types of tests that the Verizon tech
> ran.  But he's concerned with only your connectivity within Verizon's
> network.  I want to examine the whole picture -- the path through the
> network, through Verizon's network, into your home, into your Mac.

OIC

Last login: Thu Oct 16 23:33:42 on console
Welcome to Darwin!
inhouse-9500:~ billconnelly$ dig www.google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.3.5-P2 <<>> www.google.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 5, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com.                        IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com.         104551  IN      CNAME   www.l.google.com.
www.l.google.com.       47      IN      A       64.233.169.147
www.l.google.com.       47      IN      A       64.233.169.104
www.l.google.com.       47      IN      A       64.233.169.99
www.l.google.com.       47      IN      A       64.233.169.103

;; Query time: 61 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Thu Oct 16 23:36:20 2008
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 116

inhouse-9500:~ billconnelly$ traceroute www.speakeasy.net
traceroute to www.speakeasy.net (69.17.117.156), 64 hops max, 40 byte
packets
  1  dslrouter (192.168.1.1)  2.136 ms  0.702 ms  0.610 ms
  2  * *

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio