To recap the storage requirement, our needs are modest, no massive
photo or video files.  Our most valuable data is in genealogy and
narrative files which do not take much space.  The iMac is holding
about 40 GB on the hard drive; the other machines, less.

On Nov 8, 11:13 am, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> At 7:03 AM -0800 11/8/2008, Al wrote:
>
> >On Nov 7, 11:11 am, Dan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>  The nature of the backup is such that you need lower level access
> >>  than AFP provides.  CCC supports this by creating an encrypted tunnel
> >>  between the two Macs then running on each.  I haven't tested it yet
> >>  but am planning to.  Check the CCC docs for details.  (This is what
> >>  Bill is talking about re Credentials in his reply).
>
> That means the thing CCC creates on the NAS volume is NOT bootable.
> It is a virtual disk image file (dmg) that can be used at a later
> time to create a bootable volume.  This is because to access the
> volume on the NAS, CCC must use AFP - which brings us back to the
> original AFP problem.

So, these two, separate replies mean that I may be able to do
everything I want with CCC going to one FireWire or bootable USB-2
external drive.  That is:

(1) Set up a partition for each of four Macs with ethernet to make
bootable clones of all internal hard drives, taking entire contents.
(2) Set up space(s) for the Users folder of each internal hard drive
to take incremental, maybe daily, backups.  A question here is whether
I need four more partitions, or can I use one partition with four
distinct target folders, one folder for each Mac?
(3) One more partition to play with Time Machine until Apple fixes its
problems, and maybe I would replace the use of CCC in #(2) above.

> >What other backups would I need?
>
> Well, it's always a good idea to have multiple backups.  What happens
> if you have a failure WHILE you're running the backup?  At that
> point, you can end up with NO backup!

We can continue making CDs and DVDs of Users folders to store at my
son's house.

If the above makes sense, going further into dreamland, I could get a
dual-drive system set up in RAID 1.  One example:  at Other World
Computing which works with FW and USB-2.
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firewire/usb/raid_1/Gmax

Another example is the more expensive Drobo, which has more industrial
weight expansion, including the gigabit NAS option with DroboShare
that I could play with later.

I don't think I need to use WiFi.  Why bother with that if the above
thinking works?

Lastly, is there any reason to consider SuperDuper instead of CCC?

Al Poulin