Well .. I tool the plunge (or stick pin) and changed my Yikes! G4/400
to a G4/450.

Still testing, but seems smooth thus far.

Man ... those jumpers are tiny! and at first, it didn't work ... had
to go back in and adjust the jumper so it would match the others more
closely ... needed to "move" the center part about the width of 1/2 a
stick pin diameter ... also had to use the PCI Graphics won't power
up technique of getting it all going again ...

Out with the "Old":

> Xbench 1.3

> Model                 PowerMac1,2
> Processor             PowerPC G4 @ 399 MHz
>       Version         7400 (Max) v2.6
>       L1 Cache        32K (instruction), 32K (data)
>       L2 Cache        1024K @ 200 MHz
>       Bus Frequency   100 MHz
>

> Apple System Profiler
>
>    Machine Name:      Power Mac G3 (PCI graphics)
>    Machine Model:     PowerMac1,2
>    CPU Type:          PowerPC G4  (2.6)
>    Number Of CPUs:    1
>    CPU Speed:         400 MHz
>    L2 Cache (per CPU):        1 MB
>    Memory:            1 GB
>    Bus Speed:         100 MHz
>    Boot ROM Version:  1.1.2f2

In with the "New"

Xbench 1.3

Model                   PowerMac1,2
Processor               PowerPC G4 @ 449 MHz
        L2 Cache        1024K @ 225 MHz
        Bus Frequency   100 MHz

Apple System Profiler:

Machine Name:           Power Mac G3 (PCI graphics)
Machine Model:          PowerMac1,2
CPU Type:               PowerPC G4  (2.6)
Number Of CPUs:         1
CPU Speed:              450 MHz
L2 Cache (per CPU):     1 MB
Memory:                 1 GB
Bus Speed:              100 MHz
Boot ROM Version:       1.1.2f2

> Comments? Worth the 11% increase in cpu power?

Xbench says about 12% (tested while using XLR8 MACh Speed Control
(cpu speed 448.0, L2 cache 224.4).

Wish me luck ... temp rose from 24C to 28C.

Pushed it some with iTunes Visualizer and DVD Player.

I will be grateful and stop here.

Thanks,

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio