On Nov 23, 2008, at 9:06 PM, glen wrote:

> Bill, you got my interest.
>
> Could you elaborate on the jumper problem and the solution. Also
> what "PCI Graphics won't power
> up technique" are you referring to.

Of course.

Someone pointed this out to me awhile ago ... when you simply replace
a PCI card, push the CUDA ... sometimes the PCI Graphics won't power
up ... then you need to read this:

this is also of interest (CUDA part, referring you also to 95066):

> The reason I ask is a failed attempt of trying to install a G4
> "Yikes" processor in a G3 B&W a year or so ago. I know the "Yikes"
> board and the Yosemite board are basically the same. I was
> attempting to over clocking the new "Yikes" processor from 400 to
> 450 Mhz on the Yosemite board.
>
> I did the firmware and the cache enabler upgraded needed to have
> the B&W recognize the G4 processor and was aware of the jumper
> settings needed to run the newer faster processor. However, the
> results were spotty. Either I got no boot or chime with the proper
> jumper settings or it would run only sometimes with the old jumper
> block as a lower clock speed. I just assumed the G4 Zip was defective.

You did a few more steps than I did ... I never replaced the cpu ...
I'm using the original G4/400 that came with my Yikes! that I
recently got from a friend near Philadelphia ... I just adjusted the
jumper block, as found in this article:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/G4ZONE/G4YIKESOC/index.html

> Now from your post, I 'm thinking the jumper shunts I used may not
> have been connecting properly.

They are so tiny, aren't they? The one I put into slot 4 was bent
slightly too tight on the inside middle area ... so after looking at
the others that I didn't mess with (5,6,7 ...), they were all nicely
shaped ... so I tried to reshape the one I had moved from 3 to 4.
That left 1, 2, 3 empty, 4 re-shaped and the rest untouched.

I would suggest finding a source for new jumpers ... and using them.
The ones you take out are easily bent out of shape. I had to create a
tool to hook them and pull them out ... a simple straight pin that I
put a tiny bent hook shape on the sharp tip ... The first one I took
out (slot 1) flew across the room, and when I finally found it, it
was missing an inner prong ... The one I took out of 3 came out
better (practice makes for progress). Was going to give up when I
thought about looking at them all under a magnifying glass again ...
and trying the copying of the other's shape idea ... after all ... if
that didn't work, I was at a loss ... since I had messed up the first
one ...

At 3:00 am or so ... patience and slight of hand ... it worked. With
the technique of removing the battery, waiting 10 minutes, etc ...
and having properly shaped jumpers ... Chime!

Still running with no freezes at 450 (448) ... or seizures, as a
friend called it off list ...

> No rush on reply, the B & W in question is now in storage -- but if
> I ever get the time (hopefully in the next year or so) I may try it
> again. TIA --glen

I'm considering trying 500MHz ... but would make myself install a cpu
fan first ... so I probably should stop here. Feel lucky I got it to
work at 450 and, it also seems stable.

Oh ... I'm using XLR8 MACh Speed Control 3.4.2 under OS X Tiger to
control/monitor the cpu and L2 cache. Maybe that's another factor you
might consider? It works on non-upgrade type cpus, as well as the
upgrades, and it appears to have come about when the G3s and early
G4s were making their debut ... i.e. the Yikes! single cpu era.

Whew! One cup of coffee and some cookies ... and I'm off!

Then there's this new (2nd hand) Apple Aluminum KB and Mighty Mouse I
wanted to get to know better ...

Bill Connelly
artsite: http://mysite.verizon.net/moonstoneartstudio
myspace: http://www.myspace.com/moonstoneartstudio