Chuck writes,

<Because the PRAM-ZAP kills all saved reference to where the hardware
system is to look for a 'bootable' system.
The poor clueless system is then forced to use it's 'built in'
default 'boot from' information.  That set of 'default instructions
says to find an OS9 system [it will even use a bootable OS9 on an
external HD, if that is the first one it finds.]. IF there isn't a
OS9 available, I'm fairly certain that it then looks for a OSX system.>

<Well, just remember, you have till the 'Chime' finishes sounding to
get your fingers in position and press the wanted keys.>

1. OK, that sounds reasonable (although I'm still not fast enough to wait
to position my fingers on the keyboard that fast -- I have to be on the
whole thing from the beginning!). However, the PRAM zap didn't fix my
problem.

2.  But anyway, LOL, actually doing the PRAM zap wasn't much worse on the
Quicksilver than it had been on my prior Macs which had power keys on the
keyboards. In fact, it was a little better than expected. I still needed
to use both hands on the keyboard, and I was able to move the keyboard a
little closer to the tower so I wouldn't have to be so contorted to get
at it with my nose. Learning yesterday that I didn't have to hold down
the power button throughout the entire procedure was DEFINITELY a big
help! With the Mac shut down, I positioned my fingers on the keyboard,
and touched the power button with my nose. As soon as I heard the first
chime (almost immediately), I was able to remove my nose from the button
and continue to hold down the keys for the remaining two chimes. I didn't
time it, but I think the estimated 30 seconds was about right.

So, OK, now I know how to zap the PRAM on a G4 Quicksilver 867.  :-)

(Oh, and Bruce and Ken, if you're reading this, I'm sure it still would
have made an entertaining picture... thank goodness nobody was here to
take one! LOL!)

~Yersinia.

________

"Hi! I'm a shareware signature!  Send $5 if you use me, send $10 for
manual!"