Yersinia wrote:
> Ken writes,
>
> <On older Macs that works. On my MDD (not really very
> new, but...) the only power key is on the front of the
> machine. Pointy nose or pencil is a viable tool!>
>
> OMG, what timing you should mention this! I have yet to zap the PRAM on
> my G4 Quicksilver 867 (though I was discussing the possibility of maybe
> having to try it in an offlist email this morning), and this situation
> with your MDD is precisely what came into my mind, since my Quicksilver
> also has no power key on the keyboard, only on the front of the machine!
> I was wondering if it's even physically possible for me to do it on this
> machine. With my left hand the way it is, I can barely manage, if I
> position my hands slowly, the command-option-p-r but I need two hands to
> do it. My nose isn't especially pointy, but maybe it's pointy just enough
> to work while I somehow lean over and touch it to the Quicksilver's power
> button. Now the real challenge -- hands full on the keyboard, body
> twisted over to touch my nose to the power button on the Quicksilver
> (when I won't be able to tell where my hands are without being able to
> see, which I won't be able to do, and THEN....

While having the power key on the keyboard certainly simplifies zapping
the PRAM it's not like you actually have to hold down Command-Option-P-R
  while turning on the power.  You only need to hit the COPR combo
before the chime sounds.  I haven't worked on a machine yet that you
couldn't hit power then move your hand(s) over to the keyboard and press
COPR.  In most cases it only takes one hand (if the keyboard has Command
and Option on the right side).

--
Clark Martin
Redwood City, CA, USA