Tom wrote:
>> But be aware that the fee for QuickTime Pro is only a license that
>> expires with the next release of an update to Quicktime.
>>

> That's true, Apple always wants another $25 (or is it now up to $30?)
> to unlock the advanced features of QuickTime, every time they make a
> major update to it. If you use those features all the time, you're on
> the payment treadmill--each update requires you to cough up the cash
> all over again. Smart move (for you), Jobs. There is nothing we can do
> about this continual tax on video editing--QT has a virtual monopoly
> on Apple video editing, since all exports from iMovie or Final Cut
> (into iDVD or Compressor) are in QT form, or through QT conversions.
>
> I don't know for sure, but I may have gotten off the treadmill when I
> bought a used copy of Final Cut Studio off eBay, since the description
> of this video editing suite claims that it "unlocks the pro features
> of QuickTime" when you install it. Whether it unlocks any version of
> QT that Final Cut works with, or only the version that was current
> when that version of Studio was released, I don't know. I had already
> paid my $25 when I bought Final Cut, so nothing changed.
>
> Maybe somebody here knows?
>
> Tom

criminy, that only comes out to, what, about $50 over about 6 years ?
That being said, if you are thinking about getting it now, you might
want to wait as the next version, X, is due out early 2009 (I think)
As Far as import export in Final Cut, that is all handled by Quicktime
so it "unlocks" the power of Quicktime Pro.
For that matter, iMovie does, too.
It also takes longer to do all that stuff in those programs as opposed
to just using QTPro.