> You do NOT need to pay to export from iMovie or other video editing
> tools. The QT libraries are available for any programmer to use all
> the time.
>
> --
> Bruce Johnson
> University of Arizona
> College of Pharmacy
> Information Technology Group

Since I have always used the "pro" version of QT, and Final Cut brags
that it enables these "pro" features, it seemed logical to me that
same was required for Apple video editing. Thanks for informing me
that it is not, that (I presume) all the format conversions that QT is
capable of when exporting from Final Cut will still work without
paying Apple for the "pro" version. The basic functions of QT in video
editing, in other words, are evidently available without the extra
fees. Good to know, in case updates to editing programs require
corresponding updates in QT, and I fail to pay immediately for the pro
version of the update.

But at least in my case, since I use the "pro" features of QT all the
time in video editing, it would be a considerable handicap not to have
them (which no doubt is why Final Cut activates them). In fact,
anybody doing serious video editing would probably miss those
features--otherwise, Apple would be so successful charging extra money
for them.

For example, I could not have installed this excellent Perian plug-in
to QuickTime if it was not the "pro" version.