On Mar 15, 2009, at 6:56 AM, Lawrence David Eden wrote:

> I want to install the Seagate as a slave until I can do a carbon
> copy clone.
> Then I want to use the Seagate as my new Master and the Quantum as
> a slave.
> If the Seagate must be set to CS in order to work in my B&W, what
> should the jumper settings be for the Quantum?

The B&W and all later HD (and optical/Zip) cables are set up for CS,
but these do not use it explicitly except during the initial "roll
call" function of POST.

This is related to a Compaq/HP patent for CS whereby the device
characteristics of the attached drives may be more easily determined,
and the motherboard chip thereby may be more easily set as to speed,
etcetera.

This procedure requires a cable which is set up for CS so that the
host adapter may determine if a 40-wire/40-pin cable is attached, or
if an 80-wire/40-pin cable is attached, and if the latter, then the
speed of each drive may be interrogated by sending a special reset
sequence to each of the attached drives.

> When I get the new drive, how do I set it to be the slave to the
> Quantum?  The CS setting is somewhat confusing to me as it is neither
> Master of Slave.

Thereafter (after "roll call" is complete) the Mac uses master and
slave.

By convention, the optical drive is always master and the Zip, or a
hard drive which is installed in place of the Zip, is always slave.

Also by convention, the lower drive of the two-drive carrier is
always master (although it need not be, if a second drive is also
present) while the upper drive of the carrier is slave.

On the two-drive carrier and the HD bus, you may freely interchange
master and slave as long as two drives are always present.

Typically, I initialize new HDs in the Zip bay of the optical bus (I
have NO Zips on any of my machines).

Therefore, this HD is always slave.

After testing is complete, I may then move it to the two-drive
carrier, also as slave, but I could just as easily move it to the two-
high carrier as master, retaining the slave which may already be there.

(This allows for a lot of flexibility when CCC-ing backup or
duplicate drives.)

Most of my remaining G4s ... and I have about a half-dozen of
them ... use a 160 GB master and a 500 GB slave, on the two-high
carrier.

The 160 GB drive has 10.3.9, 10.3.9 Server. 10.4.11 and 10.5.6 in the
under 131,072 MB area, with about 25 GB left over as
"scratch" (usually used for temporary storage for Toast).

The 500 GB drive is a pure data drive and is generally partitioned as
131,072 MB and about 338 GB.

With the availability of the LBA48 Property script for all G4s (and
possibly for the B&W and Yikes! as well) I could operate the drives
without the hard 131,072 partitioning, but old habits die hard.

Incidentally, I just yesterday acquired a QS 2001 to which had been
applied a firmware update which gave that machine permanent large
drive capability without using the LBA48 Property scripts.

I tested this fact by executing a reset-nvram in O.F., and after the
reboot the 200 GB drive was still seen as 200 GB and not as 128 GB.

For non-QS machines, the LBA48 Property scripts remain an option.

http://groups.google.com/group/hq-a <+> A home for the Hackintosh
community.

To subscribe to the HQ-A group, send email to hq-a
+subscr...@googlegroups.com