On Apr 29, 9:58 pm, Paul <pper...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I knew about not plugging in laser printers. I just wanted to make
> sure that this older model (Back-UPS Pro 280) was good enough
> quality.I had been reading about how UPS's in general don't provide
> very good quality power in a blackout, so I wanted to make sure I
> didn't need an upgrade that way. I have two computers upstairs, each
> on a Back-UPS Pro 280, and then in my basement lab (fiendish
> experiment division), I have a Back-UPS Pro 420.

Bravo!  Keep using them.  I  have two Back-UPS Pro 420s, in black.
They have been great, dealing with clothes washer and vacuum cleaner
going on and off for years.  In fact, the predecessor model of one of
these sacrificed itself when the power company sent a hugh surge
through the lines one bright Saturday morning, destroying electronic
equipment around the neighbor hood.  I plug my ink jet printers into
the "surge-only" side of the UPS.

> I don't think American Power Conversion makes either of these models
> any more. They say they've moved to more energy efficient designs.

True.  So the company keeps trying to replace the old models with new
ones at discount for the convenience of not having to exchange
batteries in the mail.  Actually, I've read recently that the chain
store (in the U.S.) Batteries Plus, has replacement batteries.

Al Poulin