On May 5, 2009, at 7:06 AM, photoARTcom wrote:

> Not one but two of my G4 machines started to display a static sound
> when starting up. This is after I downloaded an updated from apple.
> After the restart  both machines stop working . They are not
> completely dead but no tone and no start up.

Check and replace, as necessary, the 3.6 volt 1/2AA PRAM battery.

A brand-new battery will read approximately 3.68 volts.

It stays at the 3.6 volt level, at least, for about 99.44 percent of
its lifetime, then it slowly tends towards 3.2 volts.

It is considered dead at 3.0 volts, although most models will
continue to operate properly until somewhat below 3.0 volts.

The curve is so steep at 3.0 volts that you might as well toss the
battery.

These batteries are so ubiquitous that Mac recyclers generally pull
them, test them and sell them, usually for a buck a battery for such
a "pull".