On May 20, 2009, at 10:42 AM, Bruce Johnson wrote:

> On May 19, 2009, at 1:48 PM, Doug Burton wrote:
>>   After listening to the files
>> being played from that system I can tell there is some copy
>> corruption.  Which begs the question, why?  Does it have to do with
>> the nature of the MP3 files themselves (being compressed and all), or
>> is the computer copying procedure suspect?
>
> If copied files over the networks are showing corruption you have
> either:
>
> a faulty network (in which case EVERYTHING will be getting screwed up
> on a system connected to it)
>
> the local hard drive the files were copied to is failing (in which
> case that computer will be displaying all sorts of faults, crashing,
> etc)
>
> the player app on the computer with the corruption issues is at fault.
>
> A file copy across a network doesn't care if the file is compressed or
> not, it is expected to be a bit for bit copy of that file.

I suspect my problem was a failing drive (or a least a bad directory)
that I backed up.  When I decided to restore that partition from
backup, the files were probably already corrupted before those were
backed up.  (In fact, these were relatively recently added files.)
No biggie, though.  I've got the CD these tracks came from.

I was mostly confused by what iTunes was doing (where the timer
toggled between two seconds).  At first I didn't know the files were
bad, but thought it was some problem with iTunes.

Joe

        Joe the Juggler
        4148 Wyoming St.
        St. Louis, MO 63116