On Jun 9, 2009, at 9:16 PM, Wallace Adrian D'Alessio wrote:

> That's right Apple, embrace Windows users and
> alienate Mac true believers. Great business plan.

Actually, since Apple's consistently profitable and is outperforming
all the rest of the major PC manufacturers in this economy, I'd say
damn straight it's a good business plan!

What 'true believers' are they alienating?

The ones who won't buy a new Mac every four to five years? What's in
it for Apple to spend millions to keep supporting these people?
Keeping 68K support in the Mac OS after the PPC transition helped kill
the Mac OS during a time when Windows 95 and 98 were killing it in the
market.

It wasn't until 8.6 that the last of the 68K code was purged from the
OS. Apple's misfortunes in the mid-late 90's can't be laid at the foot
of the slow development of the classic OS, there were some remarkably
stupid things done throughout the company, but the grim determination
to maintain backwards compatibility DID doom all efforts to update the
Mac OS into a modern form. OS X was a clean break, and Apple has
steadily shed backwards compatibility throughout the product's
lifetime. Beige G3's with 10.3, G3's with 10.5, G4's and G5's with 10.6.

Apple doesn't need 'true believer' evangelists anymore. The last ten
or so macs that have come into our building have been for people I
would have never in a million years expected to switch.

Those Windows users are coming over of their own accord; starting at
the top...the Dean of the college and both department heads use 'em,
and each of the 5 specialty research centers have Macs in 'em as well.

Much of this is a DIRECT CONSEQUENCE of Apple's move to Intel.

Like it or not, progress happens, and NO ONE who has been even
peripherally involved with Apple and IT professionally should be the
slighted surprised or angry with the move to Intel-only for 10.6.

A great deal of the 'failure' of Vista can be ascribed to Microsoft
when they lowballed the system requirements for Vista, to intimate
that any system that could run XP would run Vista.

They could, but horribly, horribly slowly. This was to Vista what the
'Doonesbury effect' was to the Newton: an early stumble that they
never recovered from. Consumers stayed away in droves form upgrading,
and since the solution was to buy a new computer, well, "Hell, I gotta
buy a new computer anyway, and Jerry down the block who just got his
Apple keeps raving about it, guess I'll check it out."

This is business as usual for Apple, always has been. They have
consistently dropped older systems whenever it would compromise
performance and the user experience..the user experience is THE ONLY
THING Apple sells.

Not cool, or looks, or Steve's overinflated ego or any of the other
crap you hear about: the difference between OS X and Windows is using
the thing. The difference between the iPod and any of it's (now)
distant competitors is not 'everybody has to have one to be cool' or
'stupid  Apple fanbois', but the fact that it is staggeringly simple
to to complex things with.

The Dean of the college brought this home to me yesterday. He said "
When I run into something I don't know how to do on the Mac, all I
have to do is stop, calm down, and do what comes naturally, it almost
always works. I only have trouble when I get stressed and start just
trying things."

That's a deep, deep level of UI design.

Recent switchers are the evangelizing force behind new switchers.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona