On Sep 4, 2009, at 12:12 AM, Tom wrote:

> (This is a G5 running 10.5.6).
>

> If I go back five days in Time Machine to retrieve the dead drive's
> data, and I tell TM to Restore it to a replacement drive, will TM
> restore BOTH drives to the way they were five days ago? I don't want
> that, I want TM to leave the good drive current. Can I highlight ONLY
> the 1-gig's backup folder, and tell TM to restore it to the new drive,
> and it will do that and leave the other drive alone?

How it works is this: when you install the new drive, you then install
OS X from your 10.5 disk. After the OS is installed, the setup asks
you if you want to import your data from another mac or disk. So long
as the time machine volume is online, it will restore the data that
was on that drive...it will not overwrite newer information on the
other disk.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona