On Sat, Sep 5, 2009 at 2:19 AM, Tom<tba...@nmia.com> wrote:
> So, with two drives backed up in Time Machine, I should be able to
> boot from the OS installer disk twice, and each time restore the
> contents of an old drive to its new replacement drive.

Yes, you should not need to install OS X to a drive just to be able to
restore the data on it from Time Machine.

Also, while I haven't done it so I can't say for sure, I don't think
you'd have to boot from the install disc twice. You should only need
to boot from the install DVD once and then just use the “Restore
System From Backup…” utility to restore first one disk and then the
other.

Of course, before you began this entire process you'd want to make
sure you have a current back up of your "not dead yet" drive you're
going to replace. Just to make sure your backup contains a complete
copy of that drive.

I see there are also notes about immediately/temporarily turning off
Time Machine backup after the restore to postpone Time Machine doing a
complete (re)backup of both your drives. Not sure what the best way to
approach that aspect of the process is. I guess at a minimum you'd
want to make sure your system is working the way you expect/want
before you let Time Machine overwrite your existing backup by backing
up the drives you just restored.

How does your G5 access your Time Machine backup? (Just curious.)

-irrational john