Thanks again Bruce. When I get the new drives in a day or two I'll
report my experience with Time Machine here, in case other people are
wondering how well it works.

Hey, you're not so irrational as you claim to be, John. That's a good
idea, cloning the old working drive to a new drive with Disk Utility.
How 'bout this plan, then: I put the first of the new drives in the G5
alongside the old drive that's still working, and clone the old to the
new. Then I toss the old drive and put in the second new one, install
OS 10.5 on it, and let Time Machine restore the dead drive's data to
that one.

Then I'm back where I started before the trouble began, except now I
have all new drives, and maybe millions of hours before the next
crisis. . . maybe. . . I hope.

I suppose I could stick the old working drive into an external
enclosure and keep on using it, if such can be had cheaply somewhere.

Talking about the features of these two new Hitachi Deskstar E7K1000
drives I just bought from OWC, I notice that Hitachi also claims that
this more expensive model works well when it's mounted close to
another drive (see <http://tinyurl.com/dec2kl> again). It says there
that two drives running close to each  other, both vibrating slightly
as drives do, can jiggle each other into derangement eventually, or
some such thing, and these Deskstar E7K1000s are made to resist that.
Or something. This G5 does mount its drives right tight together, one
close on top of the other one, so maybe that's a useful feature to
have. Heck, I want to feel like I got something great for the extra
money. I guess the bigger cache size and the longer warranty are
worthwhile, too, and Hitachi does brag about the longevity of this
drive, while it is conspicuously silent about the lifespan of the
cheaper one, as well as not being willing to warranty it for as long.
I'm willing to pay a little extra not to have to go through this dead
drive hassle again anytime soon. Let a few million hours go by first,
I say.

Tom