At 11:30 AM -0700 9/9/2009, John Niven wrote:
>I find this thread rather surprising. If you research the web, this
>used to be a popular Mac question: should I buy the dual or the
>single?
[snip]
>and it maxed out BOTH cpu bars. So I rather fancy that I'd prefer a
>slower dual than a faster single.
>
>Or is "Activity Monitor" lying to me?

The job scheduler is fairly smart.  And few Mac users run only one
app (process) at a time.

Under OS X, processes are put on a processor until they hit their
quanta (use up their time slice) or otherwise release it (become
blocked waiting for some resource - like a page fault or other i/o).
And since multiple processes can be "computable" at the same time,
the scheduler can keep all the processors busy.

Processes (and the threads they own) do not fly off to the other
processors on their own unless the app permits and supports it.  This
is done because many developers don't take into account the problems
of threads completing out of sequence  (fooling with causality has
consequences)...

Grand Central Dispatch, the new job/process/thread scheduler in Snow
Leopard, addresses this by creating managed "queues"... so processes
(apps) can very easily control how things are done and in what order.
The idea is to eliminate the hassle of being multi-processor aware,
hoping that more developers will now jump on the bandwagon.

Now, while all the above takes into account life from the point of
view of the process and thread aspect, you also need to be aware that
some frameworks (shared libraries) are multi-processor aware.  So
even tho the parent process doesn't realize it, they can spit thing
off for the scheduler to run elsewhere, kindof like a spider on
roller skates...

'Tis a tangled web.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.