On Dec 13, 12:16 pm, PETER WARNER <pe...@petermwarner.com> wrote:
> I feel like This has been hashed over here before, but I could not
> find it in a quick look at previous posts. Googling threw me for a
> loop, since I saw people talking about 12 volts on "pin 4"?
>
> So, can a MDD dual processor be put in a Dual 450 GigE?
>
> Thanks,
> Peter

Absolutely, yes! I did the conversion on a GigE Dual G4/450
(overclocked to 500MHz). Works great! I replaced the stock fans in the
PSU with some 35cfm quiet fans I bought at fry's Electronics.

I mounted the MDD PSU to the top inside of the GigE case by removing
the upper front and rear handles, the top and rear case plastic, and
then drilling four holes in the top of the system case to accommodate
the mounting tabs of the MDD PSU. You have to be careful when laying
out the holes to accommodate the latch/lock mechanism of the case side
door. The MDD PSU slides and locks into place in the four holes. You
can use a single set screw to retain the PSU, as well, but it is quite
secure just using the tabs and a patch of aluminum foil duct tape at
each tab on the outside top of the case before reinstalling the top
and rear case plastics. Then you reinstall the case plastics and
handles.

Next, you need to purchase a 12" 24-pin x 24-pin PSU extension cable
to use to rearrange the MDD PSU cable wires to match the requirements
of the GigE main logic board. There is no need to cut any of the
socket away at the main logic board end of the adapter/extension cable
(24-pin)  to fit it to the main logic board socket (22-pin), as the
unneeded/extra/empty two positions  of the adapter hang over the end
of the main logic board socket with no problem. Care must be taken to
make sure you have followed the wiring diagrams for the necessary
changes in wire positions for the adapter, and taken into account the
extra, empty connectors at the main logic board end of the adapter/
extension cable. There are good guides located here:

<http://tinyurl.com/62n8kk>
<http://tinyurl.com/yaf9u7a>

My installation was a little slicker than the ones shown. I took the
guts out of the old GigE PSU, leaving only the power receptacle and
110/220 voltage switch. I then cut the PSU enclosure panel (the
vertical front end, opposite the rear GigE PSU fan, sidefacing the
front of the case) of the GigE PSU enclosure down so it was a little
taller than the top of the power outlet of the GigE PSU was tall. I
folded the rear/top panel (installed position view; otherwise it would
be the large square bottom/side panel, if the PSU were sitting on a
desk with the large square top panel removed) of the GigE PSU at the
height of the cut front end panel/power outlet so that it would fold
over and enclose the power outlet of the GigE PSU, forming the new top
and facing side panels of the modified GigE PSU enclosure. The rear
panel (fan/power outlet panel facing the rear of the case) of the GigE
PSU was left intact so a new fan could be attached blowing out the
rear of the case as normal, and the modified GigE PSU could be
attached by the case screws through the back panel as normal. I ran
the power cord from the MDD PSU through a rubber grommet installed in
the cut down front end panel (side opposite the GigE PSU fan/power
outlet) of the GigE PSU, and attached it by soldering it to the power
leads of the GigE PSU power outlet. I used aluminum foil tape to seal
the modified GigE PSU case. It worked like a charm, and was good
looking (mirror finish), as well. I then installed a new, quieter fan
with a nice LED to the unmodified rear panel of the GigE PSU, and
attached it to a spare molex connector to power it. I reinstalled the
modified GigE PSU into its original place in the case. The original
external power cord connected to the modified GigE PSU makes the
system look completely stock. The use of the modified GigE PSU allows
the normal connection and disconnect of power to the system, and the
retention of the PSU fan location aids the cooling of the MDD PSU
fans, and the case.

The only way to tell the system has been modified is to open it up.
The system front panel power button/card works normally to turn the
system on/off/restart.

Some work, but very satisfying. Plus, no problems with 28Vsb as that
is standard in the MDD PSU.