At 6:20 PM -0500 1/7/2010, John Musbach wrote:
On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 3:45 PM, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
 Dan Knight wrote in his recent Musings column:
 >> PayPal: Yea or Nay?
 In my case, that's three strikes for PayPal over eight years. It's not a
terrible track record, but PayPal's ability to stop you from using the money
 in your account without warning is a good reason to consider alternatives.
 Even if you don't stop using PayPal, you may want to have a second option
 available before you run into an unanticipated account lockout.

 <http://lowendmac.com/musings/10mm/paypal-strikes.html>

He's not alone, eBay's own forum is filled with complaints:

As with any service of this nature, there are a tiny tiny tiny percentage of the *millions* of transactions that don't go smoothly. Do you hear of the millions? No. You hear only the one-sided details of the vocal few.

Hence why I do not keep any funds in my account nor keep my bank
account associated with my PayPal account. Be careful when you trust
PayPal, that's all I have to say about this.

Do you give your credit card to your waiter in a restaurant? How 'bout to a gas station attendant? Or to the person in the fast food drive-in window? ... Places where you cannot see your card 1000% of the time while it's in that stranger's possession. It is FAR more likely that one of them will rip you off, than it is to be ripped off by a fully regulated and audited service such as Paypal.

Don't get me wrong here. I'm not saying Paypal doesn't have room for improvement. But as services go, they're one of the best out there. And 99.9% of the complaints you see spewed around the 'net are unfounded, usually based on the customer failing to understand how payment processing services, and their own credit cards, work.

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.