----------  Original message  ----------
Subject: Re: Why are you (still) using PowerPC-based Macs?
Date:    Freitag 22 Januar 2010N
From:    Paul Kemner <zkem...@gmail.com>
To:      g3-5-list@googlegroups.com

> On the subject of security, how likely do you think it is that someone will
> bother to take the time to write malware to attack G3's and G4's running
> Tiger?

I agree that the propability for such to happen is very low.
Yet some security flaws are very trivial and -relatively- OS independant, like
Java security issues and older browsers JavaScript implementations. That could
make even an old Mac running Mac OS X Tiger relatively vulnerable.

But right now, there is no such security issue I've heard of.

> It's hard to believe that someone would pay the big bucks for a new mac
> laptop, wipe the HD, and install Ubuntu! Buying a new PC laptop, dumping
> windows, and installing some version of linux, yes.

Well, there are some crazy people around.... (Me!)
I've installed Linux on a Power Mac G5. I estimate only very few people do
that. Besides, it is not well supported in Linux. (I have a lot of trouble
with the graphics card. If I get some graphics out of it it's always
unaccelerated = very slow.)

BTW if you wipe the HD and install Ubuntu or Windows on it you're really
either too rich (so you can affort it) or totally fucked up. But installing it
side by side with Mac OS X might be a good idea.

Cheers,
Andreas  aka  Mac User #330250