At 9:08 PM +0100 1/21/2010, Mac User #330250 wrote:
I was just thinking about the future.

ow.

I've just made an old G3 B&W working again (it was wasting space and picking up dust for about two years or more) and it is now in my office. I've installed Tiger and it is just okay working
with it, in other words: it is slow.

Why? What did you do to it? My 300-MHz Smurf handles files just as fast as my 1.5 GHz PB G4, and my housemate's x GHz AMD Windoze machine. Safari displays pages almost as fast as they do too. Iffa your Smurf is slow, then you messed something up.

Apparently Apple has finally dropped all support for Tiger.

cite?

All my Macs, that run System 7, Mac OS 8, Mac OS 9, Panther, and Tiger, are still running. They didn't suddenly gak the other day.

I read so many postings here about people buying or working with Power Macs and G3/G4-Laptops. [...] But why? (Why Power Macs _and_ why Mac OS X?)

PowerPC based Macs, both desktop and laptop *RUN*. With few exceptions, they are VERY reliable. You give them a task and they DO it. Almost forever.

Intel based Macs... ROFL. Yea, the desktops have the lowest repair rate in the intel-based industry. But that's not saying much - PPC Macs were and are MUCH more reliable. And the MB and MBP... You should see the file cabinets full of repair paperwork my clients have.

All newer software will be for Mac OS X/Intel very soon.

And you have an assumption that newer is better? LOL iTunes needs a multi GHz computer to play an mp3 without making the rest of the computer unusable, but QuickTime on OS 9 can do it on a 180-MHz machine just fine. Yup. That's "better".

Some of you may be using Leopard already, but it is now also just a question of time when it will
be dropped as well. And this is dropping PowerPC support alltogether.

eh.  Enthropy.  pffft.

So why bother with the G3-G5 anyhow?

A better question is why use the older OS releases?

And what's the right tool for the job?

A case on point: My clients have peripherals that don't work in Leopard or Snow Leopard. Apple tells them to upgrade. Yea, right, they're going to throw out $250K+ devices. It is more likely that they'll switch to new PC hardware and run Windows 7 --- which (almost) talks to those old devices just fine. (Almost = a i/o throughput issue that makes Windows 7 go plaid, er BSOD. But that's better than Mac OS X - where the devices don't work at all).

At home, I think it's pretty stupid to dedicate a $1000+ computer to play streaming radio and drive a scanner. I use a 180-MHz PM for that. My main computer here is a 300 MHz Smurf. They get the job done.

Newer browsers will be (Snow)Leopard-only. Tiger support will be dropped in
the forseeable future.

Yes, Apple has done a pretty good job of making Tiger support more difficult in XCode. How nice of them.

Using old browsers (with ahellofalot unfixed security flaws not yet discovered) will also make the situation worse.

And which of those security flaws are actually exploited on the Mac?

- Dan.
--
- Psychoceramic Emeritus; South Jersey, USA, Earth.