On Jan 22, 2010, at 4:56 PM, Dan wrote:

At 4:37 PM -0500 1/22/2010, Len Gerstel wrote:
On Jan 22, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Dan wrote:
At 12:51 PM -0800 1/21/2010, Jonas Ulrich wrote:
Yes, Apple is dropping support for PPC machines and Tiger in general.

I've seen information about Apple no longer providing parts for PowerPC-based Mac repairs, in some cases. But as for no longer supporting Tiger? Please provide specific citations. I'm thinking that's just general rumour or something.

Uh, Dan, lets see:

Last couple of security updates did not include Tiger.

Were the patches applicable to the software in Tiger?

On 12/3/09, the security update was to update Java and did not include 10.4 updates. Since Java is semi-independent of the OS, if Apple was going to keep supporting 10.4, it SEEMS to me that they would have updated it in 10.4 beside 10.5 and .6.

The most recent one included updates to cups and flash (which I think are like the Java update, pretty OS independent) and the following:

OpenSSL

CVE-ID: CVE-2009-3555

Available for: Mac OS X v10.5.8, Mac OS X Server v10.5.8, Mac OS X v10.6.2, Mac OS X Server v10.6.2

Impact: An attacker with a privileged network position may capture data or change the operations performed in sessions protected by SSL

Description: A man-in-the-middle vulnerability exists in the SSL and TLS protocols. Further information is available at http:// www.phonefactor.com/sslgap A change to the renegotiation protocol is underway within the IETF. This update disables renegotiation in OpenSSL as a preventive security measure. The issue does not affect services using Secure Transport as it does not support renegotiation. Credit to Steve Dispensa and Marsh Ray of PhoneFactor, Inc. for reporting this issue.

which sounds like a widespread problem, not just 10.5 and newer.

Some Apple software requires 10.5 or better, iWork for example.

Yes, but that's app development, not OS support.
iTunes LPs and iTunes Extras require 10.5 or better.

Again, app dev and (frankly) lame featuritis.

If they are not putting development effort into the software for the OS, that kind of implies that the OS will be left behind soon, also. See above.

Dropping implies in the process of, and those few examples seem to indicate it.

I'm not saying they're supporting it with every app product etc. I'm just not seeing some global "we've dumped this" pronouncement.

Not officially, but the writing on the wall is getting pretty big.

Len