On Jan 24, 2010, at 8:55 AM, Dan wrote:

Not crazy about the iMac G4 design (too many with limp necks). But I really like the rest of the iMac designs over the years. Very cool. sigh. Now if only they were easier to repair. Good industrial design should, IMO, include easy-open / access features. Yea, I know - Jobs is anti-user upgrade. But geeze - 90% of the bench time should NOT be taken up by just opening and closing a machine!

Only iMacs, really, and then just some, the G4 iMac in particular. The G5 iMac was remarkably easy to get into. If only we didn't have to on such a regular basis...it's as if they knew that one was going to be the problem child.

But then I still have my 11" long torx screwdriver and case cracker in the toolbox. :-)

Every B&W G3 and G4 was a breeze to work on, except for the nasty sharp bits pulling the optical drive cable and after a while you develop sufficient scar tissue across your knuckles that you don't notice.

Of the earlier PowerPC macs only the tower models were a PITA, the desktops were easy to work on; and the PC's of the same era were just as bad, if not worse. There has been more than one old Dell design that I've been unable to figure out how to even open the case without resorting to research. I swear, sometimes that Dell employed the guy who designed this <http://tinyurl.com/ydv2aw8> .

:-)

IMO the worst single design decision Apple ever made (after the puck mouse, which is an entire 'sucky design decision' magnitude greater) was the placement of the power switch on the Centris 610. <http://tinyurl.com/yk32u63 >

Back in the bad old days, when there were only three Macs in the entire college, in one prof's lab, mac newbies would constantly complain to me that every time they tried to eject a disk the computer shut down :-)

--
Bruce Johnson

"Wherever you go, there you are" B. Banzai,  PhD