On Feb 9, 2010, at 2:23 PM, t...@io.com wrote:

The built-in IDE on the Beige is only 16 MB/s.   It just begs for an
ATA-133 PCI card, although cable routing is a pain.

An ATA-133 card is going to be limited to ATA-66 speed because of the bus limitations of the Beige. The only advantage of an ATA-133 card over some ATA-100 cards and all ATA-66 cards is the LBA48 support for HDs greater than 128 GB.

Another way to get quicker HD response is using XPF to boot from a Firewire 400 external HD. This is cheap and gets rid of both the 1st 8 GB limit and the 128 GB limit, which only the ATA-133 card would also do, but normally at higher total cost and less usage flexibility.

Also, in my mind there isn't really room for an ATA card in a Beige. With only three PCI slots, you need one for the Radeon video card, one for a USB card, and one for a Firewire card. If you boot OS 9, the USB card MUST be an OHCI USB 1.1 card, which means that for OS X you'll probably want a combo card with USB 2.0 & Firewire 400 in one card. I suppose you could squeeze in an ATA card by using a Sonnet Tempo Trio card, but that's an expensive card and doesn't get you much over simply booting from Firewire to begin with.