On Feb 9, 5:39 pm, "Gorka L Martinez Mezo" <g...@gmx.net> wrote:
> > You could if there were such a thing.  I've never heard of one.  The
> > internal FW connector (on this card and on some PowerMacs) was intended
> > for FW drives, HDs whose interface was FW, not via an IDE convertor but
> > directly.  Such drives never materialized.
>
> Thanks for the answer! It makes a lot of sense, had no idea anybody ever
> talked about a FW HD. I could find no space (not to mention heat dissipation
> problems!) to fit a FW enclosure INSIDE a beige desktop!

You wouldn't install an entire enclosure.   You would purchase a
separate Firewire-to-IDE bridge board and install that along with the
hard drive.  However, the bridge board might cost close to the same as
an ATA-133 card would unless you shop carefully.   Alternatively, if
you found a very cheap FW enclosure, you might be able to just steal
the bridge board out of that if it is on a separate PCB from the power
supply.

It's weird.  I sometimes see entire enclosures for under $20.  I never
see just the bridge board, which is only one component of the
enclosure, for that price.

e.g.:
<http://www.span.com/product_info.php?
products_id=8127&source=gbaseus&currency=USD>
<http://www.getpartsonline.com/if8c-i.html>

The above are FW800 to 4 X PATA drives.   There are cheaper bridges
that support only one or two IDE drives and whose interface is limited
to FW400.

Jeff Walther