> Because the data density is higher. For every inch the head travels on the
> 250g drive, it has the potential to pick up to six times more data as the
> same inch on the 40g drive. Plus the 250g almost certainly has a larger
> on-board cache, and probably higher seek times as well.
>
> Eric

As someone pointed out to me, I made a  mistake above. When I said higher
access times, I meant faster access times (as in 5ms is faster, not higher,
than 13ms.) I also mistakenly thought the original poster was using a PCI
SATA adapter, not an IDE to SATA adapter, which would also take care of the
128gb limit, as well as bandwidth limitations on the ATA bus. Even without a
PCI adapter, there are some hacks to get around the limit.

Eric