On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 5:08 AM, dorayme <dora...@optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> 3. Shall I partition the 320GB HD for a planned purchase and installation of
> Fusion or Parallels *at this stage* or not worry about it?

I believe that both Fusion and Parallels for the Mac support a
"virtual disk" mechanism. Certainly you can also carve out a separate
partition on your hard drive for the OS which you wish wish to run in
parallel to OS X. But you don't need to.

The virtual disk boils down to the app creating a file which resides
in your Mac's Extended (aka HFS+) File System. This file would be at
least a few GB in size and contains the complete installation of the
OS which you are running under Fusion or Parallels. The advantage is
that the size of this virtual disk/partition can be (relatively)
easily dynamically expanded so you don't have to "waste" space on a
fixed partition. You can also back it up as part of backing up the
other files on your Mac should you choose to.

I suppose the disadvantage is that you are more locked into depending
on the virtualization app to run the OS in the virtual drive. You
couldn't (for example) easily clone/copy the install partition to
another (non-Mac) system and run it there. This has never been a
concern for me.

-irrational john