On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 11:41 AM,  <roman...@ideal-access.com> wrote:
> It was the "E" in front of IDE that made me wonder, just like the "E" after
> PCI which is probably intel specific? I've been off line for 5 years and
> much has changed.

Generally speaking, EIDE = IDE = PATA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_ATA

Strictly speaking both EIDE or IDE should refer to either PATA or SATA
since all these acronyms mean are "Integrated Drive Electronics" (IDE)
and "Enhanced Integrated Drive Electronics" (EIDE). All modern hard
drives (that I know of) integrate the drive controller into the drive
electronics and have done so for (nearly?) two decades now.

But as always happens the actual history behind a term has nothing to
do with its usage. So the acronym (E)IDE has become synonymous with
PATA no matter how much it might happen to irritate the OCD among you.
Oh, well.

-irrational john