Hey Mark,
   All the HD's were used ones out of the Clamshells I bought to fix (I just cleaned them and did reinstall) I only bought one new one but I just found out it was a reconditioned HD and it has an Apple logo down in the left corner (this one didn't have the logo)... I did forget about the "Utilities" on the menu bar after you put the install disc in and click to the first step, I didn't put 2&2 together about that... I got so lost looking for the HD to click on instead... Thanks for the tip on "Command+option+P+R" I will remember that for the future!!!   Rich

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Sokolovsky
Sent: Apr 24, 2010 8:31 PM
To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
Subject: Re: OFF-LIST: I can't format this new hard drive???

Your welcome. Here's a tip. If the Mac doesn't start for a simple, fixable reason... "When in doubt, press Command+option+P+R." you will hear another "Bong" noise, and the computer should start up. The screen resolution will temporarily be at 640X480 until the logon screen. After that, even if you restart, everything will be back to normal. This works for me when i install something new and my Mac doesn't startup. Also, if you fixed so many clamshells back in the day, why didn't you know about my technique? Maybe either you got lucky that all of their hard drives worked, or maybe you forgot...

--
Sent from my Power mac G4 Sawtooth.