On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:09 AM, Dan <dantear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=1048576 of=/Volumes/MyUSBstick/gigabyte.file

I went with Dan's method ... it just seemed easier. Can't say why though. ;-)

For my 2008 white MacBook 500GB Hitatchi hard drive:
write: 37.7 MiB/sec
read: 41.9 MiB/sec

For my USB attached 16GB "Diesel" flash drive:
write: 14.3 MiB/sec
read: 34.7 MiB/sec

FWIW both are formatted as HFS+.

I'm sort of surprised that my MB's hard drive isn't a little faster,
but <shrug>. Sometime I should pull it and run HDTune (or such)
against it on my WIn 7 desktop to see if it's the drive or ...
whatever.

The flash drive results also seem about right. Forgot to mention that
one of the other characteristics of current flash memory is that
reading is often much faster than writing. (In this case apparently
over 2x as fast to read versus write).

-irrational john