I have gone through the memory and replaced all of it.  I have
replaced the power supply when it went out.  All that is left in the
case is the G3 Zif, the Motherboard and the graphics card (reported as
a ATY,Rage128y)

So its down to one of those three.. the panics give nothing consistent
and offer very little information. and the os9 lockups just freezes
the box.  I have everything removed from it but the graphics card and
memory.  I have seen graphics cards go bad and it usually give some
sort of artifact on the screen prior to it locking up.  (I know this
isn't ALWAYS the case... but I feel pretty confident that the card is
working okay.)  I will probably find something to replace it with soon
anyway.

The G4 has the improved FPU and Altivec so hopefully I will get a
slight bump in the exchange.

Currently the system is running Tiger with the appropriate updates..
it has been happy with 9.2.2 (as well as Tiger).. it didn't do well
with panther.