On May 22, 7:16 pm, Len Gerstel <lgers...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On May 22, 2010, at 7:24 PM, Gus wrote:
>
> > I was directed to a web site that pointed out that you had to hobble
> > the bus speed on the G3 in order to use the Yikes G4 processor in
> > it.
>
> Please cite the site. Both are 100MHz machines. The only upgrades to
> the B&W that hobble the bus speed are the very fast (800-1GHz) G3s,
> iirc. Once you update the firmware to accept a G4, it should almost be
> a drop in.

It was the PowerLogix site someone directed me to.

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/accelerators/PowerLogix/PowerForce-ZIF/

> > In light of this it would make more sense to either:
>
> > Put the entire Yikes MotherBoard in the G3.
>
> I don't think it is a drop in.

They do look exceptionally similar.  I am just not sure if the back
plastic will pose a problem.

Thing is the mb in the g3 is twitchy anyway and needs replacement or
the whole thing needs to be thrown in the trash.  I am not a big utube
user to begin with and mostly just do text processing and cd burning
with it.  I know toast likes the g4 and I have noticed many "tiger"
apps that are requiring a g4 or better to work.

At present I can get a yikes MB and processor fairly inexpensively.
But I don't want to have this thing half torn apart only to realize
the MB back side cant accommodate the plastic.