On May 22, 2010, at 7:24 PM, Gus wrote:

I was directed to a web site that pointed out that you had to hobble
the bus speed on the G3 in order to use the Yikes G4 processor in
it.

Please cite the site. Both are 100MHz machines. The only upgrades to the B&W that hobble the bus speed are the very fast (800-1GHz) G3s, iirc. Once you update the firmware to accept a G4, it should almost be a drop in.

In light of this it would make more sense to either:

Put the entire Yikes MotherBoard in the G3.

I don't think it is a drop in.

Or

Skip the whole upgrade process and invest in a low cost G4 computer
all together.

There are many G4s available for $120 and under on eBay, and better deals can be had on the swap list. I just saw a 1.25GHz Mirror Drive Door on ebay for $120 shipped.

I noticed the Yikes didn't have a ADB Bus so I would have to replace
my keyboard and mouse (which I really like).  But I can learn to live
without

Basically, any USB KB and Mouse will work with a G4 Mac. I am currently using (please forgive me) a Dell KB and MS wireless mouse with my DA. No issues at all.

Len