On Jun 14, 2010, at 3:59 AM, Kris Tilford wrote:

On Jun 14, 2010, at 1:46 AM, James Therrault wrote:

So, am I on the right track thinking that somehow this modem was not "put away" properly on the Powerbook? If so, what steps might I take to recover it?

It's a software issue, and AFAIK "put away" has nothing to do with it. I've not used an EVDO wireless connection before, and the description you give of weakening signal strength from April to June seems strange if it does not exist on the Gigabit G4 also? I'd think signal strength would be a problem on the Cricket end, not your modem end (unless it's a problem receiving a full strength signal).

I don't think that my current issue is signal strength but rather the utter refusal for the modem to mount, (since I've uninstalled everything to do with it), on the PowerBook. Signal strength is (I assume) the same on both machines but I don't use the desktop since it has USB 1 only. I suspect that the sudden signal strength issues that I've experienced in the last couple of months are largely caused by Cricket overselling its service. Sometimes even when signal strength was satisfactory, it was still very slow. One time when I had no bars showing, it still managed to connect and authenticate.

When I first went on line with Cricket, the dialing/authentication process was very quick, three to four seconds. The last two to three weeks, this process slowed down to as much as forty-five seconds and often would fail.

I don't know what version of the Cricket software was provided to you on CD, but there may be an updated version? The latest version on the Cricket website is called v1.0 (build 1466) and it includes support for 32-bit Snow Leopard, so it must be relatively new. You might reinstall to upgrade or just to be certain it's all fresh: (<http://www.mycricket.com/downloads/Cricket_Broadband_Setup-v1.0 (build_1466)Mac.zip>

Yes, there is an update but every attempt to install it failed. Now that you mention snow leopard, I know why it won't. OTOH, Cricket's tech support is abysmal.

The only other possibility might be corrupted Network preferences or Cricket preferences. These could be trashed, which may require getting the modem recognized in Network System Preferences, or resetting some connection attributes. I'd try reinstalling software from the link above first and see if that works. Then look to trashing some preferences if you can't get it working.

As far as I know, I've removed everything Cricket from the PowerBook. I'm going to stop by a Cricket corporate store today and bring along the modem and the PowerBook.