> If you attach a Mac-to-VGA converter, the
> type that has adjustable settings for resolution, to the onboard
> monitor output, it will create a "phantom" monitor and the Wings card
> will be enabled for input/output

Thanks for the suggestion. That's a good idea, especially given how I
don't really have the desk space to accommodate another Multiple Scan
15. Would something like this do the job?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=220607466243&Category=41999&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26otn%3D2

> 2. You can put just about any IDE DVD drive in the beige, I have a
> Pioneer DVR-109 in mine.

> It doesn't matter, these don't require a special Mac ROM to boot, and
> any modern DVD-RW is a million times better than any optical unit that
> shipped with the Beige, they were all flakey back then. Use the most
> modern optical drive you can get.

I can understand the reliability concerns, and you can call me purist
if you want for this, but I'm looking to trick out my machine in a
relatively factory-spec way, like some auto enthusiasts do with their
classic cars. While I can bend a little by using a new drive, I want
this thing to at least *look* like it came out of the factory this
way. I.e. no black faceplates (looking for beige), no bold in-your-
face branding, no strange faceplate designs. The other concern I've
heard coming up with beige DVD upgrades is the drive door dimensions
not matching those of the front bezel, causing problems. Thus, to me,
it would seem like using an apple drive from around that time period
for the upgrade would go the most smoothly. But, again, if reliability
is an issue, feel free to point me in a direction that at least
somewhat matches what I'm looking for.

> Yes, but AFAIK every DVD card will be mounted in a video card already,
> there won't be any loose decoders floating around, and since EVERY
> Radeon card supports hardware DVD decoding, you're MUCH better off
> ditching the Rage 128 and getting a Radeon 7000.

I see where you're coming from here, but having just spent the money
on a graphics card that handles everything I'd ever want to throw at
it, I really can't seem to justify getting another one just to play
back DVDs.

> If you're using the Wings,
> since it shares VRAM with the onboard video, it's a really good idea
> to have the optional 4MB VRAM chip installed.

Interesting that you mention that. In the Apple System Profile I
noticed that the computer reports 4MB of VRAM. Working with the
motherboard, I also noticed that the VRAM chip is labled as a 4MB
module. I remember reading somewhere that the Rage II+ built into the
Rev-A G3s comes with 2MB VRAM built-in, for a maximum of 6MB. Is the
Apple System Profiler only reporting the additional VRAM installed?
Can I add an additional 2MB chip somehow?

> Thus, could I add a DVD decoder card to
> the Rage 128 while it's in my Beige G3 for hardware-decoded DVD
> playback?

Out of sheer curiosity, though, has anyone on the list ever attempted
this?

> It might be worth using the
> built-in ethernet to free up a slot for a controller card,

I've been having nothing but problems with that 10/100 Apple card I
picked up. If I'm not able sort things out in the next couple of
weeks, I may do just that.

Thanks for all of the suggestions so far, everyone. I really
appreciate the help.

--James Chapel