> This is strange. The onboard should have 2MB soldered on, and the
> optional chip is another 4MB, giving a total of 6MB. The fact that
> yours is reporting 4MB seems strange, but perhaps this is because
> you're not using the onboard video at all? AFAIK it should report 6MB.
> I suppose there's a slim chance there was some type of 2MB module, or
> perhaps your 4MB module isn't seated well and only 2MB are being
> recognized?

I just finished reseating the module (there appears to be only one
slot, with what appears to be two VRAM chips soldered onto the
motherboard underneath), plugged the monitor back into the built-in
video port, started it back up and it's still only reporting 4MB VRAM.
Strange. I'm going to look into this.

> >> Thus, could I add a DVD decoder card to
> >> the Rage 128 while it's in my Beige G3 for hardware-decoded DVD
> >> playback?
>
> > Out of sheer curiosity, though, has anyone on the list ever attempted
> > this?
>
> I've got a Rage 128 with the decoder card installed. It works if
> that's what you're asking?

That's what I was asking. I've heard reports that the decoder card
might not work correctly when the Rage 128 is installed in the beige's
33mhz slots (instead of the B&W's 66mhz slot), but if it's working
fine for you, I guess that's all the testimony I need.