On Jun 14, 11:38 pm, James Chapel <dragnero...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Yes, but AFAIK every DVD card will be mounted in a video card already,
> > there won't be any loose decoders floating around, and since EVERY
> > Radeon card supports hardware DVD decoding, you're MUCH better off
> > ditching the Rage 128 and getting a Radeon 7000.
>
> I see where you're coming from here, but having just spent the money
> on a graphics card that handles everything I'd ever want to throw at
> it, I really can't seem to justify getting another one just to play
> back DVDs.

You could also get a Wired4DVD card.  This would take up another PCI
slot, but would be a very contemporary (with the Beige G3) solution,
which gives excellent hardware decoded DVD playback.  Might be a trick
finding one, although last time I checked the manufacturer was selling
some really old stock for $15.

> > If you're using the Wings,
> > since it shares VRAM with the onboard video, it's a really good idea
> > to have the optional 4MB VRAM chip installed.
>
> Interesting that you mention that. In the Apple System Profile I
> noticed that the computer reports 4MB of VRAM. Working with the
> motherboard, I also noticed that the VRAM chip is labled as a 4MB
> module. I remember reading somewhere that the Rage II+ built into the
> Rev-A G3s comes with 2MB VRAM built-in, for a maximum of 6MB. Is the
> Apple System Profiler only reporting the additional VRAM installed?
> Can I add an additional 2MB chip somehow?

It sure sounds like your module is 2 MB or has a bad RAM chip on board
making it appear as 2 MB.   Try removing it and see if the system
reports your 2 MB on board properly.

> > It might be worth using the
> > built-in ethernet to free up a slot for a controller card,
>
> I've been having nothing but problems with that 10/100 Apple card I
> picked up. If I'm not able sort things out in the next couple of
> weeks, I may do just that.

SIIG made a USB2/Firewire400/Gigabit Enet combo card.  When they were
being closed out they were going for under $30.   I don't know if
there are still any out there or not.  That would certainly save some
slots.

Jeff Walther