On Jun 16, 2010, at 10:52 AM, iJohn wrote:

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Bruce Johnson
<john...@pharmacy.arizona.edu> wrote:
We just spent $18K to upgrade our tape backup systems to (barely) keep up with our ever increasing file server space; we really need to spend $30K on a disk-disk system.

I would also be interested in appropriately vague and incomplete
"details" about your tape backup. :-) Just curious.

A non-profit I volunteer at has a Windows PC server which is
(guessing) around 5 years or so old. I think it has 200 to 400 GB of
SCSI attached storage.

Like clockwork once a week their office secretary plops in the oldest
of box of 5 or so backup tapes and backs up the drives. I believe they
have been doing this since they got it. It is likely they have *never*
replaced any of the tapes.

One of these days those hard drives are going to die and then we'll
find out whether or not they have actually backed up their server
data. Or not.

They have one other firm IT maintenance policy. Never, ever power off
the server. Not even to apply Windows security updates.

I have tried to warn them. I think the reaction was something along
the lines of, "Hmmmm, that doesn't sound good ... OH LOOK! A KITTEN!".
What'cha gonna do?

So, anyway, I'm curious how folks who might actually want to preserve
their data might approach this. ;-)

-irrational john

Note from the starter of this fine thread:  GREAT STUFF!!  Jeff:-)