On Jun 29, 2010, at 9:40 PM, Jeffrey Engle wrote:

John, just so happens that I installed the drive into an external fw enclosure... it's still kind-of sporadic in behavior, the first time I put a cd in in, it would not mount on the desktop, but.. when I opened the drawer, then closed it (with the cd inside), then it mounted fine? weird huh? I just bought (arrived today) 2 pioneer 118's from newegg... installed one in the pmg5... I had 2 kernal panics... restarted a couple times... tried to pram reset and for some reason I could only get one chime? strange... I also got a new wireless board and magic mouse today too, maybe there's a glitch in the wireless stuff... belkin bluetooth module? hmmm....

Might try only installing one item at a time ...

Sounds like the troubled DVD/CD drive is bad ... or going bad ...