> Subject: Re: IBM HDD clicking
> From: amanda.w...@comcast.net
> Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 21:06:51 -0700
> To: g3-5-list@googlegroups.com
>
> Hi John....
> On Jul 7, 2010, at 7:08 PM, John Carmonne wrote:
>
> > Hi All
> > I have an IBM Deskstar 3.5 Apple logo HDD 82 Gig  that decided not to boot
> > or even show on a desk top I can hear it spinning but it constantly clicks.
> > Is this a canidate for the trash heap?
> >
> > John Carmonne
> > Yorba Linda USA
> > Sent from my MBP
>
> I have a 250 GB Deskstar with the "dreaded" clicking (and nothing else). That
> was a warranty replacement for a 120 GB Deskstar  with the "dreaded" clicking
> (and nothing else) which, itself was a warranty replacement for another 120
> GB Deskstar  with the "dreaded" clicking (and nothing else)! <grumble> The
> 250 is still under warranty, but I began to sense a pattern and said
> something much like "Screw them!!!!".
>
> Amanda

Well Amanda the IBM Deskstar range ( also known as the Deathstars because of
their higher than normal failure rate ) weren't the best but the Hitachis are
certainly a lot better. They also poll very well in a lot of tech surveys for
longevity and performance..
Several of my friends manage servers for large companies and have nothing but
high praise for them after having tried the other manufacturers HDs.
I use Seagates as well as a few recently acquired WD Raptors for my G4s and I
have a mixture of Seagates, Toshibas and Fujitsus in my laptops - all running
well.
Interestingly, over the last five years the only HDs to have died on me have
been... yeah, you guessed it - Deskstars.

Stewie